Watches from the collection of the Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, Utica, New York USA from 28 June to 11 September 2005
From end of June until mid-September the Museum in a special exhibition presents historic treasures, jewellery and prestigious objects from the collection of the Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, Utica, New York. The manufacture of watches is a rich tradition which began in the late fifteenth century and reached a pinnacle of aesthetic and technical achievement in the late nineteenth century. Watchmaking developed with the technological innovation of the time and attracted the best talent in scientific and artistic fields.
The eighty watches shown in the special exhibition "Jewels of Time" were selected among 300 European timekeeping devices assembled in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries by Thomas R. Proctor (1844-1920) and Frederick T. Proctor (1856-1929). To this day the Proctor collection remains one of the largest watch collections featuring a rich variety of skillfully handmade and aesthetically appealing pieces manufactured between 1575 and 1916. Many of these watches originally came from Switzerland.
The characteristics of these pieces, the aesthetic perfection, the skilled craftsmanship continues to fascinate the public to this day.